The good news, however, is that there are still several top players on the board that USM could be real players for down the stretch. USM recruiting coordinator Patrick Mcgee believes there will be some surprises for Southern Miss on signing day, and we think there are some big names that could still end up in Hattiesburg.
This afternoon, I interviewed the best in Mississippi recruiting, Steve Robertson. Here are some inside tidbits on the best in MS.
1. Tobias Singleton, WR, Madison Central: "Tobias is all but MSU right now. His best friend is Joe Price who has committed to Mississippi St. Brassell and Singleton have said for a long time that they would like to play together. His Mom has made appointments to meet with the staff and academic people, so I think that is looking more and more like a Bulldog."
2. P.J. Jones, DT, Tupelo: "He has been consistent with MSU, Ole Miss, and Alabama as his top 3, and I think Southern Miss might could slip in there if some things work out. For example, if State and Ole Miss get some more kids it could be a numbers game, but right now I think he is a priority for State and Ole Miss. He would really like to play in the SEC, so USM has a long road to climb in that one."
3. Gabriel Gray, WR, Hazlehurst: "Gabe is an interesting prospect because he really hasn't been anywhere, so it is tough to get a read on him. He has talked a lot about Mississippi State, but he also talks about how he likes Southern Miss. Baseball is a big concern because he is a guy that is going to get drafted in the earlier rounds. He is a guy that might get himself some leverage with baseball and a college scholarship."
4. Domonique Harris, QB, Southaven: "Great kid. He is a guy that is trying to figure all of it out. He likes to play basketball too, so he is also waiting to see all of his options before he makes a decision. He is a guy that I am surprised that USM has not made more of a priority. He is a big guy with a big arm who is in a fertile recruiting territory and it would certainly help the Eagles to sign some kids from the DeSoto county area because it is one of the fastest growing areas."
5. Josh Pinkston, WR, Forest: "This sounds crazy, and I am not just saying this because of his family history, but I have a hard time thinking he is going to be anywhere else other than Southern Miss. I know he has options here and there, but in the end I think if it was good enough for Todd, it is going to be good enough for Josh. I think he is a bigger deal for USM fans because of his family history. He feels comfortable there, and he is a priority there, and of the names mentioned so far I feel like he is probably the best chance to be a Golden Eagle at this point."
6. Tyriq Patrick, WR, Philadelphia: "He is a guy that Southern Miss should be all over. He committed to Memphis early because it is close to home and he has a chance to play early. A guy like him in a program like that, Philadelphia always has kids. It doesn't hurt to go out and sign a guy like him because he is a very good wide receiver, he fits what USM wants to do, and if it doesn't work out he could also go play safety for you."
7. Jahmel McIntosh, WR, Cleveland: "I like this kid a lot, he moved around a little bit this year. He could move around from safety and also at linebacker. He is a Jamie Collins type who has that same build. He is so long and has great wing span, and he is a guy who will come out and hit you. I have a feeling if Southern Miss came after him that he could end up there."
Q: If you could name 3 guys that Southern Miss has a legitimate shot at signing from the top players in Mississippi, who would they be?
A: "I think Josh Pinkston is the most likely, and I could see that relationship with Gabriel Gray improving as things get closer to signing day. Southern Miss has had some success in that area in the past. That whole area has a lot of alumni and USM is like the home town school in many respects. I could see him, and Tyriq Patrick or Jahmel McIntosh jumping on a USM offer if they were to offer."
--Another Name to watch for USM as well: Shaq Perry, RB, Walnut has always been high on USM. Southern Miss offered him early in the game.
Stay tuned to GoldenEaglePride.com for all your inside recruiting information.